Justice for Port Drivers
PRESS ADVISORY: Tuesday, October 24, 2017
Press Conference at U.S. Capitol Oct. 26
On Heels of National Exposé Into Illegal Subcontracting Schemes Exploiting Truck Drivers at America’s Largest Port Complex…
Drivers, Teamster Leaders to Join U.S. Representatives Napolitano (D-CA) and Nadler (D-NY) to Announce Legislation to Fix Broken Employment System, Empower Local Ports to Reduce Environmental Pollution, Mitigate Traffic Congestion, Improve Highway Safety, and Improve Efficiency
Washington, D.C. – On Thursday, October 26, 2017, United States Representatives Grace F. Napolitano (CA-32) and Jerrold Nadler (NY-10) will be joined by six port truck drivers from the Ports of Los Angeles, Long Beach, and New Jersey, along with representatives from the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, at a press conference at the U.S. Capitol House Triangle to announce legislation to fix the broken employment system exposed in the USA Today “Rigged” series and to empower local ports to reduce environmental pollution, mitigate traffic congestion, improve highway safety, and improve efficiency – without putting the burden on the backs of the truck drivers.
Some of the misclassified drivers in attendance will include those profiled in “Rigged,” including Rene Flores, who was fired the day after the story appeared in USA Today, and Guillermina Velasquez, who filed a claim for wage theft with the California Labor Commissioner on October 20, 2017.
WHEN: Thursday, October 26, 2017; 9:00 AM EST (6:00 AM PST)
***Note: Press conference will be livestreamed on Facebook @Justice4PortDrivers.***
WHAT: Press conference to announce legislation to fix broken employment system, empower local ports to clean the environment, and improve safety and efficiency.
WHERE: United States Capitol House Triangle
- U.S. Representative Grace F. Napolitano (CA-32)
- U.S. Representative Jerrold Nadler (NY-10)
- Misclassified “independent contractor” truck drivers:
- Santiago Aguilar, Ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach (formerly misclassified)
- Domingo Avalos, Ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach
- Rene Flores, Ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach
- Carlos Orellana, Ports of New York/New Jersey
- Daniel “Seko” Uaina, Ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach
- Guillermina Velasquez, Ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach
- Fred Potter, Vice President-at-Large, International Brotherhood of Teamsters, and Director of the Teamsters Port Division
- Eric Tate, Secretary-Treasurer, Teamsters Local 848 (Long Beach, CA)
- Other elected officials and leaders to be named
Social Media Links