News

PMSA Criticizes LA/LB Clean Air Action Plan

American Journal of Transportation – The Pacific Merchant Shipping Association (PMSA) criticized a new proposed “Clean Air Action Plan (CAAP)” by the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach stating it proposes costly initiatives that will further erode the competitiveness of the two ports. In a September 18th letter, PMSA noted: “Over the past decade, diesel particulate matter emissions are down an incredible 87%. Even more astonishing, DPM (Diesel Particulate matter) is down 96% for trucks and cargo-handling equipment, the primary focus of this Clean Air Action Plan Update. This leaves 4% of remaining emissions that the CAAP Update proposes to reduce at a cost of $14 billion; a cost that undoubtedly understates the true costs of the CAAP and a cost that puts at risk the 1 in 9 jobs in the region that have made the San Pedro Bay ports the economic engine of Southern California.”

Read more: https://www.ajot.com/blogs/full/blog-pmsa-criticizes-la-lb-clean-air-action-plan